- Clean up pet wastes. Nutrients and bacteria from cats and dogs may wash toward lakes and streams.
- Bury pet waste in the yard or in a specially designed pet waste composter, or put it in the garbage.
- Never put pet waste in or near a vegetable garden or in a compost pile that will be used in the vegetable garden.
- More information:
Geese and Ducks
- Do not feed geese and ducks. It is against the law in many areas and contributes to dense numbers of birds congregating in areas they would not otherwise gather.
- If you own waterfront property, plant a native buffer on the waters' edge. This will help deter waterfowl from congregating on your lawn. They instinctively like to be able to see the water, so plants blocking their view helps keep your yard free of their droppings and prevents it from washing into the lake.