Native Plantings and Rain Gardens have Ripple Effects on our Waters
The Plant Dane Program encourages Dane County residents and groups to plant native gardens and rain gardens or install rain barrels to help reduce stormwater runoff to our lakes, rivers and streams. Join the fun and make a difference!
The Plant Dane order system will be availble in late January 2018. Please check back.
The Plant Dane Program provides Dane County residents access to native plants at the discounted price of $2.25/plant, about half the normal retail price. It's open to schools, non-profit organizations (lake and neighborhood associations, youth groups, faith centers, clubs, etc.), municipalities and individual residents in Dane County, Wisconsin.
The process is simple:
- Click on 2018 Plant Dane Native Species List and peruse the different species available. Make notes of which you'd like (esp. their Latin name, as this is how they are listed on the order form).
- Once you know what species you want, complete visit---------. Remember that plants must be ordered in multiples of four (4, 8, 12, 16, etc...), so when you enter "1" on the order form, you will get four plants; eight plants when you enter "2" and so on. Pre-selected plant garden kits come in flats of 32 plants and cost $64. Plant kits will cover between 40-50 square feet. All orders must be paid for at time of purchase using a credit card.
- Pick up your plants at 5201 Fen Oak Drive, Madison, WI on Saturday May 19th, 2018 from 8:00AM to 11AM. Participants must pick up plants on this date, or have a relative, friend or neighbor pick up plants for them.
Important Program Links
- 2017 Plant Dane Online Order System
- 2018 Plant Dane Native Species List
- 2017 Plant Dane Native Species Quick List
- "How to Build a Rain Garden" brochure
- Building a Rain Garden
- Plant Mix Garden Designs
- Garden Designs
- Print your own rain garden sign
- "Ripple Effects" rain garden information
- Add your rain garden to the list of 1,000 Rain Gardens in Dane County!
- Seed Mix Instructions
- Landscaping Over Septic Systems with Native Plants
- Native Plant Species Available Through Plant Dane! Cost-Share Program that Tolerate Road Salt
- Winter Salt Injury and Salt-Tolerant Landscape Plants
2018 Plant Dane Native Plant Order Schedule
|March 18||Last day orders with payment will be accepted|
|May 19||Plants are delivered to 5201 Fen Oak Drive, Madison, WI, for pick-up 8-11AM|
More information will be available on the 2018 plant donations in late January.
The Madison Area Municipal Stormwater Partnership will be holding a Rain Garden Workshop on Saturday, March 3rd. Learn how installing a rain garden can help protect our lakes, rivers and streams and add beauty to your property! Register today at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/plant-dane-2018-rain-garden-workshop-tickets-42006208701. Cost: $10
This workshop will focus on helping participants new to the world of rain garden design through the process of actually designing a rain garden plan for their property. It will include hands-on stations and resources to guide participants through the process of site selection, sizing, site preparation, and plant selection. Information on installation and maintenance will also be provided. Experts will be available to answer questions.